Click here for an introduction of our daily team and Board (in Dutch)
- the introduction of binding citizen-initiated referendums and popular initiatives (as in Switzerland)
- introduction of direct elections for mayors, king’s commissioners and the prime minister
- opening up public appointments for all citizens, not just members of the established political parties (as is the case in the Netherlands now)
- introduction of a new voting system that ensures parliamentarians have a direct mandate from their voters, and are no longer 'puppets on a string' of their party leaders
- better rules for petitions and citizen initiatives
- the introduction of ‘community rights’ (as in the UK) for initiatives who perform public tasks
- better information rights for citizens
- a fundamental reform of the European Union
Meer Democratie was launched in the beginning of 2015. However, prior to that its forerunner the Referendum Platform achieved considerable successes with the introduction of referendum and initiative rights in the Netherlands as well (read about them here). We have been a driving force behind the national referendum law that has gone into force on July 1st, 2015 (see English summary here).
On April 6, 2016, the first citizen-initiated referendum already took place, on the association treaty that the EU wants to conclude with the Ukraine. Read an English language analysis on this referendum here.
We are non-partisan and financed largely by donations from individuals and grants. We are members of Democracy International, the international alliance for direct democracy.
The daily team
Above from left to right the initiators of Meer Democratie: Niesco Dubbelboer, Eisse Kalk, Arjen Nijeboer, Erik Bout and Matthijs Pontier. Together with Hans Idink en Thijs Vos (entirely right) they make up the daily team. Next to them, a growing number of volunteers are active for Meer Democratie.
...and their jobs:
- Niesco Dubbelboer, director & spokesperson
- Arjen Nijeboer, campaign leader & spokesperson
- Thijs Vos, campaigner & researcher
- Eisse Kalk, chairman
- Erik Bout, secretary
- Matthijs Pontier, treasurer
- Hans Idink, ICT
- Some 50 volunteers
- Some 40,000 followers
H.J.E. Wenckebachweg 144-148
1114 AD Amsterdam-Duivendrecht
Phone +31 20 638 0558